Spring (Cleaning!) is Right Around the Corner!
With spring just around the corner… and the fact that it was 70 degrees here yesterday, I have to admit I’m a little more than ready to start posting about what I am doing in my home to lighten and brighten things up. But, don’t let the fact that I design homes for a living fool you! I (perhaps more than most people!) have to get my spring cleaning done and my home in order before I’m allowed to put one radiant orchid throw pillow on my sofa! The task of organizing my home seems daunting every year, and I have come up with just about every excuse to get out of it. A few years ago, I posted a motivational list to inspire me to start cleaning out the closets.
TIPS FOR DIVING INTO YOUR SPRING CLEANING PROJECT
- Most of us can probably agree that figuring out where, exactly, to begin your spring cleaning is half the battle! If you are struggling to overcome this obstacle, try starting with the space in your home that is in most need of cleaning/organizing (i.e., the area that grates your nerves the most!). Another option is to begin with the area that is the most dreaded task. Utilizing either of these methods will provide you with a huge sense of satisfaction right out of the gate, which will, of course, keep you moving onto the next task.
#2 – ROCK IT OUT!
- If you are lacking adequate motivation to start your spring cleaning (as many of us are!), pop in some upbeat music to get you energized! On the flip side, if you are more effective at cleaning when in a calm state of mind, choose relaxing tunes to de-stress your body and keep you focused. I found this fun playlist on Huffington Post especially designed to help you sweep and scrub.
#3 – SCHEDULE YOUR TIME!
- One of the major pitfalls of spring cleaning is becoming SIDETRACKED! To avoid getting bogged down for too long on any one task, schedule your time, in advance. For instance, perhaps you could allot 15 minutes to organizing each kitchen cabinet…. Or 30 minutes to clean the coat closet. Whatever you determine your time schedule to be, be realistic! Otherwise, you will begin to feel rushed, which will only add to your frustration, rather than helping to avoid it.
#4 – BE PREPARED WITH SUPPLIES!
- There is nothing that can derail spring cleaning faster than a lack of proper supplies. To avoid this pitfall, determine in advance, what you will need to sort and store all areas to be reorganized. For instance, if you are creating a mail area, be sure to purchase appropriate bins or baskets to neatly separate the different types of mail and papers.
#5 – BE WILLING TO DISCARD
- Have a trash bag handy at all times! If there are items that you run across that you have not used since last year’s spring cleaning, ask yourself why. If the answer consists of having too many of the same item or simply not having a need for them, be willing to sell or discard. Holding onto possessions for the reason of “just in case” generally just adds to clutter and fails to create space for new items. Also, keep in mind that you may be able to sell items at a yard sale (or on E-bay or Craigslist!), which can even produce some welcomed profits for you! BONUS!
So, what are YOUR best spring cleaning tips?! Share your thoughts by posting a comment with your ideas and insights!
NOW, GO HAVE AN “It’s So Fabulous!” DAY
IF YOU WOULD LIKE HELP WITH MAKING YOUR HOME EVEN MORE FABULOUS, PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR AN IN-HOME OR ONLINE CONSULTATION AT KIMBERLY@KNOTTINGHILLINTERIORS.COM