How to Pick Color with Confidence
As a Certified True Color Expert, I believe color is a very complicated subject. First of all, color is subjective. Secondly, there are a LOT of colors out there! And finally, different lighting can wreak havoc on a color, which may heavily influence the right selection.
If you throw into the mix that a lot of color is created from other colors, then the concept of undertones is introduced. So, what is a person who wants great color in their home to do?
If you want to pick color with purpose and confidence, I recommend hiring a designer who is an expert in this specific field. Color is one of the most important components of interior design and getting it right is critical to the overall outcome of your space. Many decorators are good at various other aspects of design, but FEW are truly color experts.
I often am thankful for being given the gift of choosing color like it is second nature. I have always had a sixth sense about color, and I am passionate about it! I live it, breathe it, and even dream about it! To me, there is nothing better than two shiny coats of the exact right color!!!!
Check out just a few of my designs and color selections that I custom-created for a few of my clients at Knotting Hill Interiors…..
If you still want to go at it alone and pick your own color, here are a few simple tips to point you in the right direction:
- Paint a larger poster board sample of any color that you are considering (See my blog post from last week on this specific topic.)
- Look at the color in different light all during the day. VERY IMPORTANT!
- Compare the color (color is often defined by comparing one color to another) . Place a larger sample of pure white board with the color that you are considering, then look for the undertones to make sure they are compatible with the direction of the space.
- Make sure you are not using a “ dirty” color in a room full of other “clean” colors and vice versa (Again, see my post from last week written about this specific subject.)
- Make sure you look good in it (Really! Not kidding!).
If, after reading these tips, you still feel unsure about selecting a color, contact me! My personal color consultations are available online or in person. It’s an easy process and an affordable investment to insure that you end up with the exact right color for your space.
Color can lift a mood and change the expression of an entire room. Have any of you fabulous readers found other ways to do color? Feel free to drop me a comment or email! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!
- South Carolina luxury interior design
- Charleston interior design
- Charleston luxury interior design
- Luxury interior design Myrtle Beach
- Interior design Myrtle Beach
- Wilmington interior design
- Wilmington luxury interior design
- Florence, SC interior design
- Florence, SC luxury interior design
- Home remodeling Myrtle Beach
- Home renovation Myrtle Beach
- Luxury green interior design Myrtle Beach
- Green interior design Myrtle Beach
- Family-centered interior design
- Condo furnishings
- Beach condos