Fabulous Natural Floor Coverings Part Three: Keeping it Beautiful!
So, we’ve talked about the gorgeous options you have when choosing organic floor coverings, Seagrass and Sisal, Mountain Grass and jubilant Jute. Now that you know what you want, there are a few key things you still need to know before decorating your floors in these fabulously natural dressings.
You might be wondering what types of backings are generally used when working with these natural fibers. Natural Latex is the ideal backing material for Sisal, Seagrass, and Mountain Grass, and is essential for dimensional steadiness. It also significantly aids in cleaning dirt residue and penetration through the underlay. This is of primary concern with all carpets since dirt that is filtered through has a tendency to damage floor surfaces. Latex significantly reduces such filtration by capturing dirt, which can then be vacuumed, keeping your carpets looking as fresh, crisp and clean as they did when you first bought them.
Please keep in mind when choosing that it is not uncommon for some of our rugs to not exactly match our samples. As with all natural fiber materials, color variations do occur due to weaving irregularities, and the natural colors of each fiber which is attributed to seasonal growing conditions. Such variations do however, add to each carpet’s distinct beauty and elegance.
The right rug will accomplish one of two things: it will either be large enough so that all of your seating pieces will fit comfortably on top of it, or it will be at least large enough for the front legs of each piece to fit. As a general rule, the sofa shouldn’t be completely on the rug while any accompanying chairs should be big enough so that when a seated diner pushes back the chair, the back legs don’t get caught in the process. Keeping these easy to remember rules in mind when putting your room together will add to the fluidity of the design, making your room look absolutely fabulous.
Area rugs are one of the easiest ways to delineate spaces in a large room. Two area rugs, matched in color and style but not in size, visually divide a room into two distinct seating areas. Both rugs are large enough to comfortably accommodate their respective groupings.
When dealing with Natural Fiber Flooring, no guarantee can be made with certain characteristics such as color and weave. As such, one material may come out more perfect than another. Listed below are common irregularities a customer can expect:
- A few plugs—the fibers have to be tied off in the manufacturing process.
- Some irregularities in the ribs are to be expected. Some might be close, some will be further apart, especially in Jute, but don’t worry your carpet will look amazing none the less.
- Variation in bowing and loop size can occur.
- All natural fibers tend to return to their original colors. Colors can fade over time.
- Direct sunlight should be avoided to preserve the beautiful color. Natural Floor Coverings are recommended for a light to medium traffic environment, and hold up well in household and commercial conditions.
- Situations where extreme humidity, heat, dampness (bathrooms, basements, and kitchens) or heavy traffic is expected, are to be avoided.
- Jute rugs are normally recommended for light wear areas due to the delicate consistency of the fiber.
- Spill Information for Natural Fiber Flooring can be found at the link below. Please cut/paste, or click the URL for a very cool chart to clean mishaps, check it out! http://www.coastal-style.com/spot-cleaning.html
So now that you are well informed, please remember that Natural Floor Coverings are that perfect touch for keeping that wonderful organic feel to your space. Eco-friendly design doesn’t have to be dull, it can be truly fabulous and one of a kind!